UK Radio Microphone Frequencies ch38,69,70 explained

Guide to standard radio microphone frequencies including 38,69,70

It is a bit of a mine field reading forums of channel 69, 38, 70 and anything in between relating to the wind or the next passing bus people write on forums from old tales and ‘what my mate told me’. This guide is to expel a few myths too about what you can and can’t use.

We will highlight the first key bands most popular.  For detailed information Arquva PMSE are the new name for JFMG and deal with UK licensing however OFCOM regulate all UK airways

Channel 38 shared frequencies (licensed)

You need a license to operate on this band, its available for an annual fee however does not give you exclusive use as it is a shared band. This means that if you have interference from another local user who also pays their license fee then you will need to discuss and resolve the crossover yourself. There are no defined frequencies as such but there are 10 that have been calculated to work without causing modulation or distortion between frequencies 606.500 – 613.500MHz

606.600  607.500  608.150  609.150  609.950  610.550  611.250  612.300  613.150  613.500

Channel 70 Deregulated frequencies (license free)

No license is needed to operate on this frequency however it is very popular with fitness instructors, discos and other events where cheap radio systems can be purchased from consumer electronic shops.  In  building or remote you are pretty safe without interference but do check fully you will not have an out burst of “come on everybody 5- 6- 7-8” during a solo song! 

Frequency range is between 863.100 – 864.900MHz typically you are able to get 4 frequencies without interference on this band as follows:

863.100  863.700  864.100  864.900

Channel 69 withdrawn from usage for for radio microphone shared frequencies in 2014

To make way for the ‘digital switchover’ promising amazing crystal quality and channels of +1 and repeats the TV channels needed to have a switch around and hence channel 69 used to provide what channel 38 does now in terms of shared UK access.  Near areas with television transmitters you will now pickup interference and noise if trying to use an old transmitter and receiver system on this band.



Is this all I can use? what about all the other channels?

Ok so it’s not just simply returning to another band, to apply for a different channel its often referred to as a site specific license and available annually or for special events licenses may be granted for example the Olympics where every news broadcaster had radio microphones, the cast of the opening ceremony had radio mics, that is much more than channel 38 and 70 combined!
We had a performance in the west end at the Savoy theatre and spanned multiple channels as different theaters have blocks of channels to use.  A license can be granted from PMSE, they will need to know your area of transmitting, frequencies you intend to us